In no way should Donald Trump, recently characterized as a “ridiculous buffoon with the worst taste since Caligula,” be considered even a marginal candidate for President of the United States. The man’s business experience – his only selling point – cannot be much of a recommendation, since it started with inheriting thousands of New York City properties from his father and went on to include four bankruptcies. His industry, casinos, one of the most highly regulated – and corrupt – is a poster child for influence peddling with big government. A crony capitalist confusing net worth and virtue, he possesses little understanding of free markets (see our earlier post here.) Even a failed Presidential run would enhance his celebrity and thus his wealth, to our detriment.
We like straight talk, but not diluted with gaffes, foolishness, and braggadocio. For straight talk we much prefer Carly Fiorina, who has real business experience in a number of areas and understands the free market. She recently said: “We’d better have a nominee not afraid to throw punches all night long.”
Trump brings out two of the Right’s worst tendencies: the inability to distinguish between entertainers and political leaders, and the habit of treating politics as an exercise in emotional vindication. (See source here.)
Take a look at some of what is known about this pretender:
- A registered Democrat from 2001-2009.
- Most of his political contributions have gone to Democrats, including Chuck Schumer & Hillary
- Stated several times his preferred running mate would be Oprah Winfrey: “I think we’d win easily, actually.”
- Supports Canadian-style universal health care run by the Federal government
- Wants a one-time (!) Federal wealth tax of 14.25%
- Advocates a 20% tariff on imported goods
- Supports abuse of eminent domain, as in the Kelo decision
He reminds us of nothing more than the vulgar caricature of the self-satisfied country-club Republican, whose mind is crippled by selfish interests and mouth wide open to emotional release without forethought. Heaven help us if the Democrats manage to persuade many that this Democrat-in-Republican-disguise is actually the very image of the distasteful Republican.